Friday, March 5, 2010

Apple, HTC, And A Few Good Patents

I read a contrarian view of the Apple/HTC lawsuit that wasn’t like the articles about invented sub-plots and psychoanalysis of what’s “really” going on. The odd thing is the latter articles don’t agree, so there’s no consensus from this group about what’s supposed to really be going on anyway.

As for me, I have no problem suggesting that maybe, just maybe, Apple thinks their IP is being stolen and is suing for it.

In any case, the contrarian article made me think of a certain speech from a movie we all know; I’ve modified it as appropriate below. Sure, it’s over dramatic, but then again…

Apple: You want answers?

Bloggers: We think we’re entitled to them.

Apple: You want answers?

Bloggers: We want the truth!

Apple: You can’t handle the truth! Boys, we live in a world that has patents. And those patents have to be protected by men with briefcases. Who’s gonna do it? You? You, Mr. Pundit? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for “competition” and you curse the lawsuit. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that this lawsuit, while unwanted, probably saves innovation. And its existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves innovation. You don’t want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want those patents. You need those patents. We use words like IP, innovation, design. We use these words as the backbone to a life spent producing something. You use them for page hits. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to people who rise and sleep under the blanket of the very ecosystem I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I’d rather you just said thank you, and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a new device/SDK and start writing. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you’re entitled to.

Posted via email from The Small Wave.

[Via http://thesmallwave.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment