Friday, March 19, 2010

LG Eve GW620 Slow Email

Android RobotI haven’t written about Android at all on this blog. From a Canadian perspective I think there is no better blog than Androidincanada. I must check them out about once every few days for updates.  So I won’t try and simply rehash what they are talking about unless I think I have something unique to say, that being said… I love Android.

I own an LG GW620 (Rogers Eve) which runs Android 1.5.  This phone is a replacement for my HTC Magic that was kidnapped at gunpoint and taken to a house across the street from the park I was visiting where it continued to report its GPS co-ordinates until someone changed the SIM card in it and turned off the GPS… but I’m not bitter…. I had it replaced with Rogers newest Android offering the LG Eve GW620. I was initially excited to be getting something with a flip out keyboard and a headphone jack, (Seriously… HTC… I think the whole 3.5mm Headphone jack might catch on.  I’ve seen some company selling these things that people stick headphones into to listen to music… so you might want to look into that, I’m just saying.  Sadly the new phone gives me nothing but grief. (Except for the cool headphone jack)  I am writing this entry in the hopes that other people out there that have had this issue can perhaps point me in a direction to fix it.

LG Eve from Rogers

The Rogers LG Eve (GW620)

This particular GW620 is the replacement of the original GW620 that I got when it first came out. The first phone I had froze all the time requiring me to remove the battery and restart the phone on about a daily basis. To make matters worse, the email function on the phone was so poor that I could not use it at all for business email. What happens is when I first setup the phone for email I can read email, however, after about a day of using this the process of downloading messages takes longer and longer. At last count it took nearly 20 minutes to give me the most recent list of messages. To make matters worse, upon clicking on any of those messages I am greeted with one of three scenarios.

1 – The message opens (this happens about 1 out of every 12 or 13 tries)

2 – Connection Error

3 – Data Error

The errors don’t seem to be related to the 3G network as the same errors occur when I am on wifi. I have googled this term over and over, and have NEVER gotten a single hit.

Rogers says there is no problem, but this is the second GW620 I have had that does this. As well, my co-workers each have one of these phones and both of them have the same issues as well. One simply uses the gmail feature (this works fine) and doesn’t check his POP3 email on the phone. The other had his pop3 email forwarded to gmail so he could do the same.

The problem I have is that this did NOT occur on the HTC Magic. Both phones ran Android 1.5, both are in bad need of an update to 2.0… (hurry LG) but something I have noticed is that the email client on the Magic was different than on the GW620.

If anyone out there has a solution PLEASE comment and point me in the right direction. I’ll update this entry if I figure one out, or anyone is able to help.

Thanks!

–malocite

[Via http://malocite.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment