Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Reflecting this Moment

A couple of weeks we went out to the local bar with some friends. A buddy of mine got a new phone and I really liked the look and feel of it. The next day, after getting fed up with my Palm Pro not receiving calls for hours at a time, I decided to see if I was eligible for an upgrade. To my surprise, I was. So I loaded up the kids and went to my local Sprint store and got myself a new Samsung Moment with Google.

The phone itself has a bit of bulk to it weighing in at 5.67 ounces, but Ipersonally like that. It’s not huge or very heavy but it does feel sturdy in my hand. Part of its bulk is attributed to its slide out QWERTY keyboard. More on that in a moment. I like the screen although it does feel a bit plasticky, which it no strike against it because it is responsive, just that the glass screen on theiPhone is so nice to the touch. The few physical buttons and overall construction is sturdy, I don’t feel like its going to break under my fingers.

This is my first experience with the Android OS from google but it by farbetter than the Windows Mobile my old phone had. At some points there is a moment of lag between tapping a command and it getting executed. I attribute that to the 800MHz ARM11 processor and 512mb of memory. If it had just a touch more I’m sure it would fly. All the services work like they should. Calls don’t feel bogged down by the os, text’s and MMS’s come and good just fine. And all these default apps can be replaced from apps in the Android Store.

I love the AMOLED screen! It’s bright, crisp, clear, and beautiful. Animationsare nice and smooth. It does  both portrait and landscape modes but it feels like the transition from one to the other is clumsy.

The keyboard is in my opinion the weakest part of the phone. The slide function feels like it should, strong and built to do its job but the keys them self don’t feel right to the touch. All the keys are separated, back-lit, andrecessed with the keys bubbling up just slightly. They feel like they are made of cheap plastic. I am a little concerned that these keys could tear under my fingers with normal use.

The WiFi adapter does what it’s suppose to do with no problem. I love that on/off widget I found to handle it. The bluetooth works perfectly with the Sync system that’s in my new car, look for a post about that in the near future. Other notable features are a 3.5mm headphone jack, which should be standard on all phones. I’m talking to you designers! Lithium Ion battery with5hours of talk time. The battery does drane very fast when Im at work and trying to use it like a micro pc to stave off the boredom. 3.2 megapixle camera that does support video and has a nice led flash. Finally it came with a 2bgmicro SCHC card.

Service through Sprint has been almost flawless… almost. As long as I’m not in my plant service is great! No problems. Data is fast and reliable. When I enter my plant my connection drops through the floor. I don’t  think it’s Sprints fault as it seems anyone around my work area with Sprint just suddenly started to have connection trouble within the plant.

My opinion? I love this phone. It does everything I want it do and if it doesnt, I can more then likely  find an app on the store. integration with my google account was seamless and flawless. Automatically downloaded my contacts and colander information, which is expected when you get a google powered phone. Id defiantly recommend the Moment to anyone looking for a smartphone on the Sprint network.

Check it out and get more details here.

[Via http://geekalacarte.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment